The winter months are particularly stressful on our bodies. When it comes to winter activities for kids, it’s important to make sure that we keep kids healthy by keeping them active and engaged. There are a few simple steps you can take as a parent to ensure that your kids stay healthy in the winter.
Ways to Keep Kids Healthy During the Winter
1. Get Plenty of Sleep – Often when it’s cold outside, we exercise less and spend more time at rest. As a result, our bodies aren’t tired at the end of the day, so we stay up later and later. For kids, this can cause a severe disruption to their sleep schedules and daily routines which will compound into fatigue.
2. Take Vitamins and Minerals – Winter is also a time of many cookies and candies, but fewer fresh fruits and vegetables. Providing your kids with a well-rounded supplement routine of vitamins and minerals can also help keep them healthy. Plus it can help offset the lack of natural sunlight they are getting during the snowy months.
3. Regular Exercise – Regular exercise is an important part of a healthy routine. During the winter, kids find it harder to exercise because of the outdoor temperatures. By signing your kids up for indoor sports and lessons, you can keep them active regardless of the weather. One great example is indoor swimming lessons, Bear Paddle swims year round, seven days a week!
4. Stick to the Schedule – Even if your kids have several weeks off of school for the holidays, it’s important that you stick to a regular schedule. Make sure they are getting up and doing things throughout the day, and that they are eating regular meals.
5. Monitor Sugar Intake – A single candy cane may not seem like much, but if there are candy and cookies around the house, your child may be taking in 2-3 times as much sugar as usual during the winter. Try to keep track of how much sugar they are having, and don’t forget to count sodas and other sugary drinks as well. Whenever possible, encourage your kids to stay hydrated with water.
Here at Bear Paddle Swim School, we keep our indoor swimming pool at the perfect temperature year round so your kids can stay active even during the winter. We have classes available for kids of all ages, and our teachers are here to guide your kids through exercises that will build their confidence in the water and keep them healthy.